Mike and I were sitting at dinner last Friday night, and it had been a long and stressful week for both of us, so as he told me what all had happened that day I was understandably growing frustrated for his sake at the troublemakers he was having to deal with. Then, after sitting in silence for a few minutes, he said out of nowhere, "So, what would you say...."
(Now, that's exactly how he started when he proposed to me, so needless to say, I was excitedly nervous to hear what came next.)
"What would you say, if this August, I took a couple days off work, and we went to New York to see Newsies on Broadway as a late birthday/early anniversary present?" He grinned at my reaction, which was probably disbelief and then sheer glee. I had been constantly wishing that we could go (and telling everyone in earshot) ever since I heard that Disney was finally bringing this beloved musical to the stage for only a few short months. I had resigned myself to the fact that such a trip was too expensive and too difficult to plan, this being Mike's first year of work at a small church with little extra funding or vacation time. So of course I was shocked and asked how he was going to pull it off! He said he had done some research and found some deals on flights and hotels, and he had already checked with the pastor to make sure he could take a couple days off. So, on August 6th, my sweet husband and I will be on a plane to New York for a whirlwind anniversary trip (about 4 months before our actual anniversary). So. Excited.
We spent the rest of the weekend looking for the best flight and hotel prices, booking the trip, and scouring maps for unique destinations - besides Newsies of course.
![]() |
| Newsies: The Musical |
So, any suggestions from New York veterans? We're looking for interesting, less-than-touristy locations to visit in our short couple of days, since we have both seen the touristy ones already.

No comments:
Post a Comment